Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Has Millie fallen through the cracks?

Devoted fans: You may have wondered where I've been.


The 23 things have not been high on my list of library priorities this month. Patrons of all shapes, ages, and sizes (including this questioning triceratops) have been waiting for me when we open the doors at North Syracuse. They do not care that we are all "behind" in the 23 things or, as Jill wrote in her blog, asking ourselves "where are we?". These are questions that have haunted mankind (and triceratops) for centuries and honestly, there are no good answers except maybe from the text a librarian people.
Although the many facets of public librarianship have been my priorities this month I have managed to:
#10 + #11 Create a LinkedIn account and made connections with Jill, Nancy, other NOPL people and a woman who worked with me in my pre-Woodstock days. I can see that this site will be very useful when looking for a job or in receiving recommendations from others.

#12 - del.icio.us: I did not love this idea at first. As Carol W. can attest, I have email going back to the time of the orange triceratops. My bookmarks are a disaster. I never remember what I have bookmarked and I did not want to open a yahoo account and have yet another set of passwords to remember. That being said, I am probably the ideal candidate to use this site. It is also nifty that you can access your account from anywhere and tie into a huge database of web links with a few clicks.

#13- Sharing options: I have shared many interesting tidbits of Tim McGraw information with my daughter. She has never once thanked me. She is, however, taking me to see Tim in person on September 3rd!!

#17- Yes, I know I have skipped a few "things" in between but my experience with Overdrive requires immediate attention. I have overdrive software on "several" computers and sometimes receive email that instructs me that a book is "available". I don't remember ordering any of these books or even downloading the software multiple times but the NOPL network does not lie! I now have detailed, printed instructions and Carol's personal, double-secret cell phone number in case a patron needs help with Overdrive.

That's about it!
I am going out tonight to buy a new cowgirl hat and will not be working on the 23 things.




1 comment:

  1. An overdue "Thanks, Mom!" for keeping me up-to-date on not only the latest Tim news but all things Bachelor/Bachelorette-related. If you find any good hats let me know.

    ReplyDelete