Friday, September 10, 2010

Wikiness

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with wikis. This is me, "Happy Girl" at the Tim McGraw concert last weekend. My daughter was convinced that if she took me to a live Tim concert, paid for the expensive tickets, and bought me a pizze fritte, that I would stop talking about Tim and listening to "Southern Voice".
Unfortunately, that has not happened.

I have enjoyed using wikis for years. My son (who has been surrounded by librarians his whole life - his Mom, 2 neighbors, a former brother in law, and his cousin) is a huge supporter of Wikipedia. If I had a nickel for every time he has said, "Look it up on Wikipedia", I would be buying my own fried dough.
I think that wikis are great tools to be used in a variety of ways. I have used them many times to look up obscure minor league baseball players and trivia facts. This is not the highest level of research but as the Wikipedia people will tell you, "mass collaboration over time will produce high quality material". The links following the Wikipedia articles are also useful for further research as are the external links.
I have spent considerable time this week looking at both Wikipedia and Library Success - a best practices wiki.
Library success is an interesting wiki. The information is a bit scattered but can be quite entertaining if you are a library geek. I will try to add a link for the NYLA November conference at my earliest convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment