Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 2: filling in the cracks


Day 2
Progress.
I awoke to gunshots today. This is not the same as waking up to an alarm clock.
My house is adjacent to Cicero Swamp and my neighbor was back there shooting squirrels who dare to cross the Target/ Dunkin border and I feel like I am in the Wild ,Wild West.
I thought about being one of those squirrels. Ousted from their cozy home when Target moved in, and pushed back even further with construction of a Verizon store. If it were not for bad luck those squirrels would have no luck at all and they can’t even text!
Yes, I am feeling pretty lucky today.

Progress comes in many forms and having low expectations is key. I am up and dressed. I am washing the Bailey’s stain out of my bathroom and taking control of my life’s goals.
I have been thinking about the 5 things that I loved to do as a child (as KittyKatMartini suggested in her book): dancing, sewing doll clothes, doing a Lily Tomlin impression (remember Ernestine and her phone operator routine?), hanging out with my grandmother and writing plays for the dolls to perform (although they were not very good at remembering their lines).
I am not sure if any of that translates to a life purpose but I’m working on it.

I can see that things like “trash day” will take on a bigger significance now. What was once an interruption to my “getting ready for work” day has now become a legitimate activity.
It is the same with the mail delivery. People hang out in their driveway, waiting for their copy of “Celebrity Hairstyle” (thank you Lynne), then call across to their neighbor who is also waiting. Most likely a conversation will start up about the candidates (or the squirrels- they are interchangeable at this point except for the texting) and before you know it, it is time for Oprah.
Oh! I’m running late (for what I don’t know but I have not said that in a while).
My bathrobe should be almost dry and all is right with the world. I guess that IS progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment